Saffron Walden is fortunate in having a number of activity areas, sports clubs and community venues, for example:
- In the centre of town – the Common, the Market Square and the Town Hall
- On the outskirts – the Lord Butler Leisure Centre and the Golden Acre Community Centre.
- Football pitches at both ends and a number of small children’s play areas across the town.
- Sports facilities at Carver Barracks, just outside town.
- And a world famous skatepark!
However, as the population grows, the town will need to increase the number and scope of these facilities. This is especially true with regard to free-to-enter spaces as membership fees can be a barrier to participation for many. Families in particular need space that is free to let off steam and enjoy. Getting people, of all ages, who are currently inactive to become more mobile helps cut the health budget and gives participants a better quality of life.
The Neighbourhood Plan is a way to get our voices heard, telling developers and the planning authority what we need and requesting funding be made available by the developers when they apply for permission to build new homes.
The following documents are related to this topic area. For more plan documents visit the Document Library.
|2017 Q2 Survey Questions|
Statutory Consultee survey questions for those that can’t complete web survey [PDF]
|Focus Group Meeting Notes: Sports, Community & Leisure|
Notes from Saffron Walden Neighbourhood Plan sports, community & leisure focus group meeting [PDF]