Under the Localism Act 2011, residents have new rights and powers to shape development in their communities via something called a Neighbourhood Plan. For the first time ever we can draw up a legally binding plan for Saffron Walden setting out what development we want to see – and what we don’t.
Every resident can be involved in creating our Plan for Walden, and we’ll all have a chance to vote on it in a referendum. If it’s approved, it becomes a legal document that will govern all future planning decisions.
The Neighbourhood Plan will enable us to:
- Create a shared vision for Saffron Walden
- Have a say on where new homes, shops, offices and workplaces should be built.
- Protect our green spaces and historic buildings
- Influence the designs of new homes and other buildings
- Express our views on our streets and infrastructure, tourism, leisure and community facilities, and environmental issues
Creating this plan is an incredibly important thing for us, our town, and our community’s future. But to make a proper plan that works, we need as many people as possible to contribute to it. To find out how you can get involved, go to the Consultation page.